Deployment of Project Management Office (PMO)
Organisations usually run numerous projects. Many of them, however, fail to have a specialised unit responsible for providing the competences and the organisational support to the initiatives in progress.
The information that reaches the company’s top management is often internally inconsistent, hardly comparable or outright contradictory. As a result, the managers, who do not have dependable information to rely on, are at risk of making decisions that are not the optimal ones and are likely to cause conflicts of scopes and resources between the individual projects.
We assist in the process of setup and deployment of a Project Management Office. We recommend its structure, specify the roles of the staff involved and design the catalogue of the services it offers.
While defining the details of the Project Management Office we specify the objectives it should be pursuing. The most common ones are:
- providing well-informed and up-to-date information on the projects in progress,
- providing coaching and ongoing subject-oriented support to project managers,
- providing operational support to project managers,
- maintaining, developing and customising the organisation’s project management methodology,
- identifying the needs for the development of competences related to project management.
The results of our work include creating a Project Management Office that effectively supervises the execution of the current projects within the organisation and ensures the required methodological support and assistance in resolution of conflicts between the projects.
The organisation’s top managers obtain the full information it needs to make optimal decisions.
Depending on the scope agreed, our involvement usually produces the following deliverables:
- Definition of the Project Management Office, including its delegation of powers, structure, roles, procedures, tools and a catalogue of services